There is nothing better when you’re craving comfort food than a grilled cheese sandwich! The flavor or bread and melted cheese perfectly combined is one that carries memories of childhood and of home. Luckily, these memories do not have to live in your mind, as it is fairly simple to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich yourself at home!
The ingredient list for a grilled cheese sandwich is very simple. You’ll need:
- Cheese (American Cheese slices are best! Second best is Sharp Cheddar)
Again, simpler is better! Here are the steps to make a basic grilled cheese.
1. Start to preheat your skillet. It is essential that you start with the skillet heated up (but not too hot!). You’ll know it’s the right temperature if you take a drop of water and drop it in the middle of the pan. It should sizzle and disappear in a second or two.
**Note: Do not put the stovetop all the way up to the highest setting!! This will burn your grilled cheese and ruin it!**
2. While the skillet is preheating, take your slices of bread and butter one side of each bread slice. (2 slices will make one sandwich, so butter as many as you need for as many sandwiches you want).
**Note: You can use wheat or white bread, however for the perfect flavor and the perfect grilled cheese, white bread (though less healthy for you) will taste better!
3. If you’re using American cheese, take a slice and put it in between the bread slices. If you’re using cheddar, slice some cheese and put the cheese inside the slices of buttered bread. When you are done putting in the cheese, the buttered side should be up (facing out) on each of the bread slices.
**Note: If using cheese you cut, the thinner you cut the cheese, the better and faster it will melt. Try to be consistent in the thickness of the cheese slices so it melts the same across the whole sandwich. You can layer really thin slices on top of each other, but the optimal amount of cheese you want is about how much you’d get in a pre-packaged slice of American cheese.
4. Put the sandwich in the skillet and cook it until it is lightly browned. Flip it and do the same on the other side. The cheese should be completely melted in the inside. If it’s not, you can flip it over again and again until it’s ready.
**Note: Be very careful not to burn the bread! This is the quickest way to ruin your sandwich! Optimally, both sides of bread should be browned about the same amount).
5. You’re done!! Enjoy! Your grilled cheese should taste excellent!
Variations of the basic grilled cheese sandwich:
The best grilled cheese is the simple version with just cheese. If you want to get more complicated however, you can add all sorts of things to the inside of the sandwich to give it a different flavor – the most popular twists are to add slices of tomato or slices of ham. Een though there are extra ingredients on the inside, you’ll still cook it the same way.