Halloween comes along every year, and with it all the flavors and tastes of the season. So, what are the traditional flavors of Halloween? Well, there is indeed more than just pumpkin, although that is certainly one of the classic favorites!
1. Pumpkin – Pumpkin is a traditional, typical, halloween flavor…and yes, that is thanks in part to the fact that pumpkins are everywhere decorated with faces and candles! So, what do you do with all that pumpkin goodness once you’ve taken it out of the gourd shell? You eat it in all kinds of delightful halloween treats! Things made with pumpkin that bring to mind halloween include pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pie, and things flavored with “pumpkin spice” – for example Blue Bell’s Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream is a popular halloween hit!
2. Caramel – Caramel is another traditional halloween flavor, mainly because it is a sweet covering that can go on top of almost anything to make it better and “candify” it for halloween! Caramel-covered goodies you’ll see around halloween include caramel covered apples, caramel cookies, and caramel-covered popcorn! Even the mere smell of caramel evokes images of halloween!
3. Butternut Squash – I know, I know, who likes to eat squash? But butternut squash is indeed comfy flavor of October 31. Traditionally, you’ll see butternut squash soup. Probably one thing that makes it so popular is that the butternut squash is a winter squash – just like the pumpkin!
4. Apple – This might surprise you , but yes, apple is a traditional halloween flavor! People eat caramel covered apples, they bob for apples, and eat apple fritters! Apple pie itself tends to show up more around Thanksgiving, but you start to see people eat it around halloween time!
5. Maple – Maple is another favorite that reminds everyone of halloween. Maple covered pancakes show up on the breakfast table and maple custards are on the dinner table!